Many vehicular accidents today are revealed to be the result of distracted driving, and some safety experts revealed that in-car GPS itself can be a possible distraction. While easier driving car using GPS navigation is a big help, there are a few safety tips to help you enjoy a safe ride all the time.
- During installation of your device, make sure you bring this to eye level for you to see it properly with no need to take your eyes off the road. Ensure that you also properly install the mount for the GPS to save you from worries about it accidentally falling down while you drive.
- For easier driving car using GPS navigation, you have to be familiar with how to operate the device. You also need to take advantage of all its safety features like voice control. Spend time in getting to know more about your GPS navigation before you embark on long trips.
- Check that your destination address has been added correctly. You also have to know the entire route in general. If you have plans to use the GPS unit for your trip driving a rental car, don’t forget to program and set the destination in your unit prior to leaving your home.
- Avoid getting distracted by the need to dictate or punch the destination on your GPS unit while driving. For this, you can use an app with voice directions. The best types of asier driving car using GPS navigation offer really good feedback to drivers while giving them lots of time to prepare for any changes in streets and lanes. Voice directions help prevent unwanted distraction when you take your gaze off the road just so you can check your GPS unit. In instances voice direction is not available, you can ask your passenger to read the GPS device to give you the directions so that your eyes and concentration will remain on the road.
- Follow traffic signs and expect that some changes might not be shown on your GPS unit. Everything boils down to always paying attention to the road and not on the device. If the GPS unit instructs you to turn left even if there is a clear sign that tells you not to enter, don’t listen to the device. There are many people who die every year because their considered their GPS voice as command instead of a mere suggestion.
- Make sure you get updates as this will help you ensure that you get to follow the latest route planning information. Even though easier driving car using GPS navigation may come with lots of uploaded maps out of the box, it is a must to update the firmware on a regular basis. Updating your firmware allows you to get the best quality service from the unit. Take note that GPS is merely a tool, which means that it can also fail. Never assume that it knows every single thing happening on the roads and it is updated all the time. Count on your senses first and on your GPS device second.